Bradenton’s Historic Memorial Pier and Building
Bradenton’s Memorial Pier dates back to 1878. The Pier’s building was built in 1928, and was officially dedicated to honoring 21 young men from Manatee County who died in WWI. Over the next five decades, the two story Memorial Pier’s building would be used for a variety of functions, both public and private. The large riverfront second floor was the social scene for dances and events (currently the elegant Pier 22 Ballroom). The ground floor was used as a warehouse for freight from steamers coming in to Tampa, until the mid-1940s. Then, a portion of the building became the South Florida Museum’s first home. The Manatee County Chamber of Commerce also resided here for 34 years, along with Manatee County’s first radio station which began broadcasting in 1946. In 1974, The Miller Family acquired the old building from the city, and considered tearing it down. They soon realized, however, that the architectural and historic value of this Bradenton landmark must be preserved. Meticulous restoration lasted two years, completely preserving the building’s Spanish-style. Since then, the downstairs has served as a restaurant, and the upstairs a ballroom and offices. The Miller family has taken great measures to ensure the building’s historic style and integrity remain intact while surrounding the Pier with a beautiful 225 slip marina.
Pier 22 has become a distinctive destination for casual fine dining in downtown Bradenton. In addition to our magnificent views of the Manatee River, historic ambiance and impeccable service, what has made us so popular with guests from near and far is our commitment to using only the highest quality ingredients to prepare all our foods. Meat and fish are purchased fresh then cut from the whole rather than portion controlled and/or frozen. From soups to salads, sauces on our entrees and our specialty desserts, our chef proudly prepares all menu selections from scratch.